Sunday, 3 July 2016
Update On Dhaka Restaurant attack In Bangladesh
Twenty foreign hostages have been killed at a cafe in the Bangladeshi capital, the army has said, in an attack claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group that ended after a 10-hour siege when commandos stormed the building.
Nine Italians, an American, seven Japanese and an Indian were confirmed on Saturday to be among the dead.
"Most [of] them had been brutally hacked to death with sharp weapons," army spokesman Brigadier General Nayeem Ashfaq Chowdhury said on Saturday.
Italy's foreign minister said on Saturday that one more Italian citizen was still unaccounted for.
He "could be hiding himself or could be among wounded people... we are looking for him," Paolo Gentiloni, the Italian foreign minister, said.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina earlier said 13 hostages had been rescued. Hasina said six gunmen had also been killed and one captured in the early morning operation at the Holey Artisan cafe in Dhaka.
The rescued included two Sri Lankans and a Japanese citizen who was wounded, Lieutenant Colonel Tuhin Mohammad Masud said, adding there were casualties among the other hostages. The cafe was located in one of the most heavily-policed parts of the capital, home to several embassies and popular with foreigners.
"In order to get in here you have to pass through a lot of police checkpoints. It's a highly cordoned-off area," sources said.
"So there's going to be a serious question raised: How did they manage to get in there with arms and ammunition, possibly even bombs and hand grenades?"
Bangladesh has declared two days of national mourning following the attack.